School will close for the summer break at 1.00pm on Friday 16th July 2021.
GCSE Results – Year 11 pupils, results will be available from 10.00am onwards on Thursday 12th August 2021. Year 10 pupils, from 11.00am onwards. These will be sent to pupils via their school email accounts.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
We wish you all the very best and hope you enjoy the summer break.
English is who we are and what we do.
The English Language is all around is. It lives in every word we speak, every text we send and in every box set we binge-watch. It breathes through every news report that shocks us, every movie that makes us cry and every Tweet which reduces us to fits of laughter. An ability to use language and to understand how it used by those around is one of life’s most critical skills and your studies in GCSE English Language and English Literature will seek to equip you with all that you need to succeed into adult life.
English Language GCSE gives pupils the opportunity to explore a wide range of fiction and non-fiction reading and writing texts
• understanding the opinions of others and learning how to express your own confidently;
• summary, inference, comparison and analysis of language and structural choices made by a writer;
• creative crafting, using your imagination to write convincingly;
• accurate and deliberate spelling, punctuation and grammar;
100% untiered exam.
• Paper 1 – Explorations in Creative Reading and Writing (50%)
• Paper 2 – Writers’ Viewpoints and Perspectives (50%)
• A separate ‘Spoken Language’ grade, which will be awarded a ‘pass’ or ‘fail’.
Guided revision homework is set every week to help pupils retain content and to practise key skills. There are a number of useful revision resources available from CGP, Pearson and online. Please speak to your child’s English teacher for more information.
Successful communication skills are essential for your future. Here are some examples of English careers:
• media; journalism; publishing; copywriting;
• teaching: schools; colleges; abroad;
• influencing: advertising; public relations; marketing; retail;
• Public Sector: administration; local government; health service.
Contact emails: firstname.lastname@example.org (Head of English), email@example.com (Leader of Learning for English)
“I like creative writing and using my imagination.” Y9 pupil
“English taught me to use my voice to stand up for what I believe in.” – ex-Y11 pupil
“I actually like poetry now!” – Y10 pupil