Oakwood High School – Year 7 and Year 9 Online Subject Parents Evening will be held on Wednesday 21st April 2021. Please check on Go4Schools and work with your child to identify the Subjects/Teachers you would like to see. Further information on how to access your appointments will be sent nearer the time.
The booking system is now open. Please click on the link to access:- https://oakwoodhighschool.parentseveningsystem.co.uk/
The English language is all around is. It lives in every word we speak, every text we send and in every box-set we binge-watch. It breathes through every news report that shocks us, every movie that makes us cry and every Tweet which reduces us to fits of laughter. An ability to use language and to understand how it is used by those around is one of life’s most critical skills and, your studies in GCSE English Language and English Literature, will seek to equip you with all that you need to succeed into adult life.
You will study:
• Shakespeare’s ‘Macbeth’
• ‘The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’ by Robert Louis Stevenson
• ‘A Taste of Honey’ by Shelagh Delaney
• The ‘Power and Conflict‘ anthology of poems
• Unseen Poetry
• understanding the social, cultural and historical influences of a text;
• understanding character and plot development;
• analysing the writer’s language form and structural choices.
100% un-tiered exam.
You will write an essay for each of the key texts studied.
You will have to revise and compare two poems from the anthology.
You will also be given two unseen poems to assess your independent analysis skills.
Guided revision homework is set every week to help pupils retain content and to practise key skills. There are a number of useful revision resources available from CGP, Pearson and online. Please speak to your child’s English teacher for more information.
Successful communication skills are essential for your future. Here are some examples of English careers:
• media; journalism; publishing; copywriting;
• teaching: schools; colleges; abroad;
• influencing: advertising; public relations; marketing; retail;
• Public Sector: administration; local government; health service.
Contact emails: firstname.lastname@example.org (Head of English), email@example.com (Leader of Learning for English)
“I like creative writing and using my imagination.” Y9 pupil
“English taught me to use my voice to stand up for what I believe in.” – ex-Y11 pupil
“I actually like poetry now!” – Y10 pupilHome