We all experience health and social care during our lives. From newborn to elderly, we need and use health and social care services and meet with professionals in many different areas of the Industry. From doctors and surgeons, nutritionists and radiographers to psychologists and therapists, there are a multitude of professional careers in the health and social care sector.
What will you do?
BTEC Health and Social Care involves you understanding what ‘being healthy’ means to different people. You will look at how you can help to improve someone’s health and wellbeing. You will get to know how the health and social care sector works and the care values that are essential to it. You will also gain an understanding of how we grow and develop throughout our lives.
You will study the following content:
Human growth and development across the six life stages
Factors affecting growth and development
Different types of life events and how we cope with the change caused by these life events
Health and social care services and the barriers to accessing these services
Health and social care values and demonstrating your use of these care values
Factors affecting our health and well being
Understanding health indicators and creating a health and well being improvement plan
How will I be assessed?
BTEC Health and Social Care involves working through three components of work, two of which are internally assessed and one which is a controlled assessment of 3 hours.
What skills will I learn?
You will develop these skills:
- Problem solving;
- Patience and understanding;
- Independent learning.
You may also participate in:
- Off-site visits e.g. residential care homes, community centres, early years settings, etc.
- Sessions led by visiting speakers e.g. health charities, social and community charities, local colleges.
How can Health & Social Care help me in the future?
There are various careers in health and social care, and childcare. Here are some examples:
- Psychologist / psychiatrist;
- Operating department practitioner;
- Biomedical scientist;
- Community health nurse;
- Social worker;
- Carer for the elderly;
- Early years practitioner.
Courses you could go on to study
- A Level Health & Social Care (Applied);
- BTEC Level 3 in Health & Social Care;
- BTEC Level 3 in Health & Social Care (Trainee Health Professionals);
- BTEC Level 3 in Health & Social Care (Community);
- Childcare and Education Diploma Level 3;
- CACHE Level 3 Award, Certificate and Diploma in Childcare and Education.
How do I find out more?
Ask Mrs. Ronan or Mrs. Fox for more information and guidance.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com