Colleges & Post 16 Choices

Raising the Participation Age
RAP is a new measure that has been brought in by the Government.  It means that all young people have to be in some form of learning or training until their 18th birthday.  Previously, young people could leave school on completion of their GCSEs and go straight into work.  Now they can still leave school after GCSEs, and they can still work, but the RPA means these young people will need to have some from of recognised learning as part of their post-school activity.

What are the options available after Year 11?

  • Stay in full-time education (e.g. school or college)
  • Take up work-based learning (e.g. an apprenticeship or traineeship)
  • Take up full-time work with an additional part-time learning (at least 280 planned hours of education a year) which will result in an accredited qualification
  • Combine self-employment with part-time learning, leading to an accredited qualification
  • Volunteer (for 20+ hours) with the addition of part-time learning, leading to an accredited

Research and Applications

UCAS Progress is the website where research and applications will be completed. You can access the website NOW. You will be issued with a username and password by Mrs Samuel.
Use the search facilities and research to:

  • view your career/course ideas
  • check the college/sixth form/training provider information
  • consider travelling distance
  • find the type of qualification they offer e.g. A level, BTEC, NVQ
  • understand course level and entry requirements
  • You need to choose the correct course level for your ability and also ask yourself how you best learn, this is very important in deciding which study path is the best suit to YOU.
  • Level 3 CGSE grades A*- C (English and Maths 4) needed for A Level study
  • Level 2 GCSE grades D – E
  • Level 1 GCSE grades E or lower

However you NEED to check the course entry requirements information. Some courses require a level 1 completion to progress onto level 2 and 3.
After school you can go and study at a College or a Sixth Form.

Colleges are where you can study in an adult environment. You are expected to be responsible for your own behaviour and learning. College offers a range of course for different levels depending on the individual’s ability.

Sixth Forms generally offer focus on more academic courses. Some sixth forms are part of a school that offers education 11 to 19 years. We have a local independent sixth form, Thomas Rotherham College which has entry at 16 years.

Open Days/Evenings are a great opportunity to talk to other students and staff, and be able to see and get a feel for the learning environment.

Please click on the links below for further information on Colleges and School sixth forms.  If you want information on any other Post-16 provider, please contact the School’s careers adviser.


Thomas Rotherham College
Rotherham College
Dearne Valley College
Sheffield College
Barnsley College
Doncaster College
UTC Sheffield


Aston Academy
Brinsworth Academy
Dinnington High School
Maltby Academy
Swinton Academy
Wales High School

Wath Comprehensive School
Wickersley School & Sports College

Useful Links

UCAS Progress Search 

National careers service

What are employability skills?

Get my first job