We live in a multi-cultural society and having a positive understanding of different religions and cultures help to maintain a more harmonious and understanding environment within society as a whole as well as the workplace.
Here and now in Rotherham we live with a mix of people who come from many religious traditions. What do you know about them? Do you understand what it means to have faith? How does religion affect our society and the way we live? What about the big questions? Should we have nuclear weapons? Should we allow the death penalty? How was the world created? The Big Bang? God? You can explore the answers to the questions here in Religious Studies.
What will you do?
You will study the beliefs and practices in Christianity and Buddhism looking at what they believe and how they worship. You will spend time researching, exploring, and discussing recent religious, political and moral issues in the media which affect our daily lives and our society.
You will study:
- Four moral themes
- The Existence of God and Revelation
- Religion Peace and Conflict
- Religion Crime and Punishment
The course aims to enable you to:
- Develop your knowledge, skills and understanding of religion by exploring the impact of beliefs, teachings and practices, ways of life and forms of expressing meaning;
- Enhance your spiritual and moral development and contribute to your health and wellbeing;
- Enhance your personal, social and cultural development, your understanding of different cultures locally, nationally and in the wider world and contribute to social and community cohesion.
- Develop your interest in and enthusiasm for a study of religion and its relation to the wider world.
- Reflect on and develop your own values, opinions and attitudes in light of their learning.
How will I be assessed?
There will be two written exams at the end of Year 11 that will enable you to achieve a full GCSE.
What skills will I learn?
You will learn:
- empathy and understanding
- investigation skills
- critical and reflective evaluation
- literacy and expression
- negotiating and influencing
- problem solving
- working to deadlines
How can Religious Studies help me in the future?
Employers respect and encourage an understanding of religions particularly in areas where you are working with people as it demonstrates an understanding of the world we are in, also the world is a much smaller place than it used to be and you could be working and living anywhere in it.
There are various careers where a good understanding of Religious Studies will be a benifit, here are some examples:
- Advice Worker
- Housing Adviser
- Social Worker
- Youth and Community Worker
- Police Officer
- Nurse/Health worker
- Personal Trainer
- Having your own business
- Customer services
- Any job where you work with people.
GCSE Religious Studies provides you with a suitable foundation for the continued study of religion at a more advanced level and other subjects which build upon the knowledge of GCSE Religious Studies e.g.
- A Level Religious Studies
- A Level Philosophy
- English Literature
How do I find out more?
Ask Mrs Nicholls or Miss Melvin for more information and guidance.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com