Sport has never been as important as it is today, with the legacy of the London Olympics 2012. This event demonstrated Britain’s finest athletes doing their best and accomplishing so much. The Sports industry is large with a whole range of jobs and opportunities for those of you who are interested in the world of sport.
What will you do?
We recognise that the world of Sport and Leisure is ever growing and this popular course reflects this. During the three year duration of the course you will participate in a variety of activities including:
- Practical sport;
- You will participate in a number of different activites. Two will be chosen to show your skills and knowledge through coursework and a video of your practical performance.
- Fitness; An online exam covering the types of fitnnes, training to improve fitness and fitness testing.
- Personal excercise programme (PEP); You will learn how to plan and complete a six weeks personal excercise programme.
- Planning and leading sporting activities. You will learn how to plan and deliver a session to younger pupils in a chosen sport.
You must study the following:
- Fitness testing and training exam (compulsory)
- Practical Sport (compulsory); Coursework
- PEP; Coursework
Planning and leading sporting activities; Coursework
How will I be assessed?
You complete units of work, like coursework, that are graded Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction*. The assessment and grading are carried out by your teachers from the observation of your work and from your portfolio of evidence produced. An external assessor checks this.
You will also have an online test at the end of the fitness and training unit.
Please note that in order to progress onto a Level 3 course in this subject at college you will need to achieve a minimum of a Merit grade.
What skills will I learn?
You will learn:
- Independent learning
- How to evaluate and learn from your own performance
- How to adapt to new situations.
You will also have the opportunity to access many off-site visits to different sporting institutions to vary your learning and help assignment research.
How can Sport help me in the future?
There are various careers in sport. Here are some examples:
- Sports practitioner: sports coach; sportsman/woman; fitness instructor; personal trainer; physical education teacher;
- Sports management: sports agent; sports administrator;
- Sports promotion: sports development; sports marketing and PR; sports sponsorship;
- Sports reporting: sports journalist; sports commentator; sports website designer;
- Sports equipment manufacture and retailing
- Sports science: sports therapy; sports psychology;
- Sports law
- Sports betting
BTEC First in Sport provides you with a suitable foundation for the continued study of sport at a more advanced level e.g.
- A Level Physical Education;
- BTEC Level 3 in Sport (Performance and Excellence)
- BTEC Level 3 in Sport.
How do I find out more?
Ask Mrs. Alyanak or Mr. Tibenham for more information and guidance.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com